Breast Augmentation in Philadelphia and New York
For many women, their breasts play an essential role in defining their femininity. In fact, it can be hard to feel feminine with undersized, misshapen, or asymmetrical breasts. You might be surprised how many women have attained their full, shapely bust through breast augmentation in Philadelphia and New York, as this is one of the most popular cosmetic procedures in the Tri-State area and across the country.
Improvements from Breast Enlargement
Breast augmentation, also known as breast enlargement, gives Philadelphia and New York women a more pleasing breast appearance. Board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Mark Solomon understands and supports a woman's need to feel good about her body, including her breasts. Although every woman has her own personal reasons for choosing breast augmentation, these reasons commonly include:
- Increasing the size of small, underdeveloped breasts
- Restoring lost breast volume after childbirth or weight loss
- Correcting asymmetrical breasts
- Increasing confidence both in and out of clothing
Some women who are troubled by breasts that are both small and sagging combine breast augmentation with a breast lift to achieve a more attractive shape.
Once you have chosen this procedure, there several decisions that will need to be made. These include:
- Implant material: Saline is a popular choice for breast implants in Philadelphia and New York, but silicone gel is an increasingly popular option as well.
- Implant size: Each patient's physical anatomy and surgical goals determine the right implant size. Implant sizers can be put into a bra to help you visualize the results for various implant sizes.
- Implant profile: Patients can choose a specialized implant shape and projection, called the profile, to alter the extent that their breasts "stick out" from the chest wall. Available profiles include low, moderate, or high.
- Incision location: Common places for implant insertion are around the nipple, in the breast crease, under the armpit, or through the belly button.
- Implant placement: Placement options are either under the pectoral muscle or on top of it. In many cases sub-muscular placement will achieve the most natural-looking results.
During your private consultation, Philadelphia and New York breast enlargement surgeon Dr. Solomon will discuss your goals, perform a brief exam, and help you determine which implant is the right choice for you.
Fat Grafting for Breast Augmentation
In addition to breast enlargement using implants, Dr. Solomon performs a fat-grafting technique that can naturally enhance the appearance of your breasts. While this technique does not achieve the same results as an augmentation using implants, it can be a good choice for women who are looking for a more subtle enhancement or do not like the idea of having implants.
Dr. Solomon uses advanced techniques that have been carefully reviewed in recent studies to achieve lasting results with few complications. He also screens patients carefully to ensure they are good candidates for treatment. The ideal candidate for fat-grafting breast enlargement needs to have good skin quality and breast position to begin with. A woman who has fat-grafting augmentation will see her results diminish if she loses weight after the procedure, so maintaining a stable weight is important.
The procedure requires some preparation. Patients will be given a full set of instructions that they will need to follow before and after the treatment to maximize results. First, the patient must wear a device to stretch the breast skin and increase blood flow so the fat grafts will survive. The device is worn like a bra for 10 hours daily for 8 weeks. After the procedure is performed, the device is worn for 2 more weeks.
During the procedure in Philadelphia and New York, liposuction is used to remove fat from a "donor" site, typically in the waist, hips, or mid-body area. It is then purified before being placed in the chest muscle. Because no implant is used, the problems of deflation, hardening and rupture will not arise.
Procedure & Recovery
Dr. Solomon usually performs breast enlargement as an outpatient procedure under general anesthesia. Because you may still be groggy from the effects of the anesthesia, you will need to arrange to have someone drive you home after your surgery.
Initially, you may have some swelling and bruising. Any post-surgical pain can be effectively controlled with medication. Most women are able to return to normal activities, including work, after about a week. They usually resume exercise and other more strenuous activities about two to three weeks after surgery.
Women who choose breast augmentation can be extremely pleased with their fuller, shapelier chest. It can be quite a thrill to fill out bathing suits, dresses, and even bras for the first time. Imagine the confidence you'll gain from a more feminine, balanced figure.
Be sure to see real breast augmentation results in our before-and-after photo gallery to get a better sense of the improvements Dr. Solomon is able to achieve.
Find Out More
Are you ready to find out more about breast augmentation in Philadelphia and New York? Request a consultation online with board-certified plastic surgeon Mark P. Solomon, MD, FACS, or call his Philadelphia office at 610-667-7070 or New York office at 347-922-8882.